
Okay, okay, it's probably "enough already," but I woke up this morning thinking about Steinbeck's book OF MICE AND MEN, and got to wondering what connection it might have to the "best laid plans of mice and men" quote by Burns. I continue to be amazed by the wonderful resources the internet places at our disposal, and when I Googled it, lo and behold, this is what I found:
"Of Mice and Men is a novella written by Nobel Prize-winning author John Steinbeck. Published in 1937, it tells the tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers during the Great Depression in California.
Based on Steinbeck's own experiences as a bindlestiff in the 1920s (before the arrival of the Okies he would vividly describe in The Grapes of Wrath), the title is taken from Robert Burns's poem, To a Mouse, which read: "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men . . . ."
I am a real genealogy buff, so I'm a huge fan of the internet for the doors it opens to those of us searching for relatives, both living and dead. But, in addition to that, there's simply little that one cannot find there. When I was in WY in December, spending a couple of weeks with Daddy, there were at least two occasions when he asked me a question about something neither of us could remember (I can't now recall the particulars). In both instances, I said, "I'll be right back." I went to Mother's computer (although she's no longer with us, I still call it that because it was Mother who used it and not Daddy) and returned shortly with the answers we were seeking. Dad just looked at me and shook his head. "You can find ALL THAT on the computer?" I said, "Oh yes, and lots more. In fact, there's little one can't find on there."
I love many old-fashioned things and ways, but I must say I'm extremely thankful for modern technology, as well.
With that said, I'll sign off for now and head to our grandson's basketball game. Perhaps more about that later. Have a great day and stay safe and warm!
Oh, Dear Sister of mine! I do love reading your blog and wish I had half of your talent for writing and portraying events in such and interesting light. I do agree with you that you can find anything on the internet. After enjoying a wonderful dessert at a wedding openhouse we did for a newly married young couple, I couldn't wait to get the recipe from the sister that had made it, so I went to the internet and described what it was. I thought, it had to be Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars, (that is exactly what they tasted like) and lo and behold, they came right up and were Paula Dean's recipe. I confirmed it today at church. They are wonderfully rich and caloric, but very good. Love you and keep up the great blogs. Lynda
ReplyDelete