Although this photo does not do justice to my friend Jean, the tree in her front yard is so spectacular right now that I simply had to have a picture of it, and she obliged me. If you click to enlarge the photo, you can actually "feel" the sun shining through the leaves. I LOVE AUTUMN! When I first experienced my first autumn in Missouri, I was so blown away by the splendor of trees with their vibrant leaves that I made a rather ridiculous (in highsight) statement, "Honey, we never had autumns like this in the west." Biologist that he is, he gently reminded me that the type of fall color on the trees has a lot to do with the type of trees themselves. Well, yes, that would make a difference now, wouldn't it?!! :)
I've been kicking myself because we've had a lot of rain and wind the past few days which has done a lot to strip the trees of their beautiful leaves. And I had not yet taken the time to drive around and take pictures of some of my favorite displays of color. On my way home from physical therapy this morning, I drove through a local cemetary (where some of Reed's ancestors are buried) and took a few pictures. I regret that I did not get there sooner, but perhaps you will at least get an idea of just how amazing they were.
The photo of the row of burning bushes was taken in front of Ky's school and, while pretty, they can't hold a candle to the hedge of HUGE ones we saw in in the parking lot of the St. Louis Temple last week. Alas, I didn't have my camera with me.
Finally, the picture of Ky, the Tree Hugger, was taken in our front yard. Of course we've been in our new home fewer than four years so our trees and bushes are not yet mature; nevertheless, our burning bush and Sugar Maple delight us with their colorful displays.
A girlfriend and I drove to Harrison, AR last week and saw a lot of beautiful trees along the way, there, and back, as well. We joined another friend and had lunch at the Cliff House Restaurant ("homemade bread and real mashed potatoes") which provided a panoramic view of the "grand canyon of Arkansas." I had no idea this masterpiece existed near Jasper, AR, and what a beautiful discovery it was. Vast, and considerably more rugged than most of the landscape in this part of the country. I want to take Steve and return soon.
A beautiful autumn day, when the sun is bursting through the leaves of trees resplendent in myriad golds, reds, and greens, is one of those times when my breath is literally taken away and I think to myself, "Heavenly Father really outdid Himself this time." And I'm so thankful to be here to enjoy it! I hope wherever each of you happens to be when you read this is just as lovely. ENJOY!
Leaves and pine cones are two of my favorite things. So I decorated my house with them. I even have leaves and pine cones on my Christmas tree. I'm rather upset because we skipped fall and went right to winter. Only a few leaves even had the chance to turn before the snow flew and flew. Not fall as snow around here blows sideways not down because of our ever present wind. Now the ground is littered with green dead leaves. A large number of trees lost large limbs to the early wet snows. Today once again it is snowy outside. You are so blessed to see such a beautiful display of leaves. I envy you.
ReplyDelete